Well folks, here we are just three days away from the 2008 IIHF World Junior Hockey Champions from the Czech Republic. If there is anything better than getting a new Ipod for Christmas, it is the WJHC.
In the Christmas and Team Canada spirit of things, here is a TSC Top 10 Best Canadian hockey calls.
10. “He’s got to score…that’s all. No. He cannot do it. The Czech Republic will play for the gold medal!” Bob Cole at the 1998 Nagano Olympics after Brendan Shanahan missed in the shoot-out to Dominek Hasek and the Czech Republic in the semi final. Canada lost the Bronze medal game and finished fourth in the tournament.
9. “Here’s a break…it’s gonna be a break…it is Joooooee Sakic…..SCORES! Jooooee Sakic….SCORES! That makes it 5-2 Canada, surely that’s gotta be it!” Bob Cole on Team Canada’s fifth goal scored by Joe Sakic to make it 5-2 Canada over the U.S.A. in the 2002 Salt Lake City Olympics. Canada won gold.
8. “Bam! Bam! That’s a double-dion right there!” Pierre McGuire, Hockey Analyst for TSN describes a massive double-body check that Dion Phaneuf threw against two Russian players in the gold medal game at the 2005 IIHF World Junior Hockey Championships in North Dakota. Canada won that game 6-1.
7. “The drive for five has arrived! Canada, World Junior Hockey Champions for the fifth year in a row!” Paul Romanek after Canada defeated the U.S.A. in 1997 to win its fifth straight WJHC title in a row. Canada defeated The States by a score of 2-0.
6. “Here comes Nash…Rick Nash in and he scorrrrrrrrrrrrrrres! What a goal by Rick Nash!” Dave Randorf calls a goal scored by Rick Nash at the 2007 IIHF Men’s Ice Hockey World Championships in the gold medal game against the Fins last spring.
5. “Count them down Vancouver. Make it back-to-back gold medals. Canada takes home gold in Vancouver!” Gord Miller counts down the final seconds of the 2006 IIHF World Juniors in Vancouver as Canada defeated the Russians 5-0 in front of the largest crowd to watch a WJHC game.
4. “The game is over! The game is over! And this time for Canada it is pure gold…….7-0!” Paul Romanek counts it down as Canada wins its fourth straight gold medal as they defeated Sweden en route to the gold.
3. “Here’s Iginla, feeds it up to Langkow, HERE’S a chance………there’s a goal!” Paul Romanek calls one of the most courageous Canadian goals in WJHC history as Iginla took a massive hit to make the play to Daymond Langkow in the gold medal game in Boston, Mass.
2. “Puck comes back to Woywitka…Woywitka shoots…….SCO–RES!!!” In an epic game between Canada and the U.S.A. in the 2003 WJHC from Halifax, TSN’s Gord Miller has his voice crack half-way through his infamous SCORES! call. The goal wasn’t so much a beauty as was the call of the goal.
1. “Here comes Mueller on Price, Mueller in…STOPPED BY PRICE! Canada’s going to the gold medal game at the 2007 World Junior Hockey Championships!” Gord Miller describes the stop by Canada’s Carey Price on American Peter Mueller in the semi final shoot-out last year in Sweden. Canada went on to win gold two days later against the Russians, winning their third straight gold medal.
Count them down Canada…just three days left!